June 28, 1942 - The Dumont Television Network begins (W2XWV, later WABD) with its first experimental broadcast.
Regular network service began on August 15, 1946, on WABD and W3XWT. In 1947, W3XWT became WTTG. The pair were joined in 1949 by WDTV (channel 2, now KDKA-TV) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The first broadcasts came from DuMont’s 515 Madison Avenue headquarters, and it soon found additional space, including a fully functioning theater, in the New York branch of Wanamaker’s department store at Ninth Street and Broadway. Still later, a lease on the Adelphi Theatre on 54th Street and the Ambassador Theatre on West 49th Street gave the network a site for variety shows, and in 1954, the lavish DuMont Tele-Centre opened in the former Jacob Ruppert’s Central Opera House at 205 East 67th Street. (Wikipedia)